In my quest for the best vanilla cupcake recipe I cooked 8 different cupcake recipes. My lemonade cupcake recipe was chosen by the “judges” as the most flavoursome and moist. It has a lovely chewy top and an airy texture. Because I love you all, I thought I’d share the recipe with you. It’s adapted from this poundcake recipe here but I turned it into a cupcake mixture and moved it from lemon flavoured to vanilla. I’ve even converted into grams and ounces for your enjoyment.
- 150g (5 ⅓ oz) plain flour (just under 1 ½ cups*) – I sifted mine – some people say you don’t need to but it’s what I do.
- 270g (9 ½ oz) granulated sugar (that’s just normal sugar for the Aussies) (This works out as about 9/10 Cup which is 1 cup minus 5 tsp of sugar).
- 140g butter (5 oz or 2/3 cup) at room temperature.
- 2 eggs at room temperature.
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract.
- 75 ml (around 70g) of lemonade/sprite/7up ( 1/3 cup)Now you’ll notice you’re left with a whole lot of lemonade in your can/bottle.I suggest either reserving it for lemonade scones (I’ll share the recipe sometime soon)
mix it with some Pimm’s and drink it down.
What, it’s early in the morning?
When Pimm’s was first made it was meant to aid digestion and you’re about to eat a whole lot of cupcakes which will then need to be digested
sooo… it’s really in the interest of your health and digestion to drink some Pimm’s (obviously though you need to drink responsibly).
Preheat the oven to 175⁰C ( 325⁰F or Gas Mark 4) If you’re using a fan forced oven make sure you turn it down a little.
Line twelve ½ cup muffin cups with cupcake liners.
Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time.
Add the flour and the lemonade.
Beat on high for at least 5 minutes. There is no raising agent in this cake other than the lemonade so you need to beat it good.
Put 1/3 cup of mixture into each cupcake case.
Bake for about 15 minutes (keep an eye on it cause I really can’t remember how long I cooked this for).
Cupcakes are cooked when a toothpick/skewer comes out clean when stuck in the centre of the cupcakes. The cakes should be a deep golden colour.
Cool them in the pan for 15 minutes then invert onto a wire cooling rack.
Top with a dusting of icing sugar (powdered sugar).
*When I refer to a cup I’m referring to a UK or Australian cup which is 250ml.