After baking and blind taste testing 8 different cupcake recipes my team of taste testers determined that this recipe was the best cupcake overall. It was a dense, flavoursome and moist cake that would be easy to frost. Here’s the recipe in imperial (ounces) and metric (grams) so that it can be used the world over.
Adapted from Magnolia’s Vanilla Cupcakes
Makes 24-26 cupcakes
190g (6.6oz) self raising flour
155g (5.5oz) plain (all purpose) flour
225g butter (8oz) unsalted butter at room temperature
400g granulated sugar (0.88lb) sugar
4 large (that’s 57g or 2 oz) eggs at room temperature
240ml of full fat milk (245g or 8.8oz)
1 teaspoon (5ml or 4.4g 0.155 oz) of vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180⁰C (160⁰C Fan forced) or Gas mark 4 that’s 350⁰F (or 325⁰F fanforced)
2. Line 2 (1/2 cup capacity x 12) cupcake tins.
3. Sift into a small bowl the self raising flour and the all purpose flour. Set this aside.
5. Into the large bowl of your electric mixer place the butter. On a medium setting beat this until the butter is smooth.
4. Gradually add the sugar to the butter and beat until it is fluffy (normally this will take about 3 minutes).
5. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat well after each egg is added.
6. Combine the milk and vanilla in a separate bowl (I like to do this in a jug).
7. Add a third of the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture and beat until just combined then add a third of the the milk and vanilla mixture to and beat until just combined. Do not overbeat.
8. Repeat step 7 two more times.
9. Ensure you scrape all the batter into the bowl and that all the ingredients are well blended.
10. Spoon 1/4 cup (approx 64g or 2.25oz) of mixture into each of the cupcake liners
11. Bake for around 20 – 25 minutes. Cakes are cooked when a cake skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cupcakes.
12. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the tins for 15 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack (alternatively you can eat them straight from the oven – make sure you check your temps though).
Frost with Vanilla Buttercream, or with ganache, or with a lemon glaze or really any other topping you come up with.
Enjoy, knowing you are partaking in the Best Recipe for Vanilla Cupcakes.